Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Tribute to Mama

Are you wearing a red or a white carnation today?  This is an old custom that goes back over 100 years.  On the first official Mother's Day red or white carnations were passed out at churches across the nation signifying whether your Mother had passed or was still alive.  Red for the living and white for the dead.  Just a small remembrance to honor all mothers.

I will be wearing a white carnation for the 8th year and miss my Mama more than these words could every say.  She was my friend, my confidante, my mother.  I, not having any sisters, was closer to her than any other woman.  We shared our thoughts, our laughs, our long talks, and most of all our love for each other.  It was amazing how she could be a best friend, but when it came time to be a parent she was always there for me.

Mama, Herminia Maria Josefa Sofia Fernandez, was born and raised in Miami, Florida.  Her parents came from Spain in the early 1900's and her Father died at the early age of 35.  Her Mother, Mama Jo raised 5 children on her own.  It is amazing to me that she was able to care for these children on her own, taught herself to speak, read and write English but then again times were different back then and many immigrants did the same.  Mama was born at home at the hands of her Father in 1916, the 4th child of 5.  It was said that she was so small that Mama Jo had to carry her on a pillow for several months.  I think Mama must have been born quite a fighter.  She remained a tiny person for the rest of her life, just under 5 feet.  Her older sister, Ophelia was considered the beauty in the family and being the oldest girl received the new clothes.  My Mama, Mary received the cast downs.

Mama met my Dad at Miami High and they were married when they were 18.  They then raised my 2 brothers and myself.  I, being in the middle of my 2 brothers.  Mama stayed at home and catered to her family.  Her favorite past time was sewing and I reaped the rewards of having the best wardrobe that any little girl could have wanted.

One of my pleasant and cherished memories from when I was a child was the books she read to us.  When "To Kill a Mockingbird" first came out in the 60's and although I was well into my teens, she read it to my younger brother and I.  She put great emphasis on learning and as we learned, she shared in the knowledge.

"With tears and with my loving thoughts of you - I miss you, Mama!"    

  

"She gave me love as well as life;

so whatever goodness I may bring to Earth

 began with the gift of my Mother's heart."

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Love this Aunt Mary! Happy Mama's Day to You!

    ReplyDelete